Friday, September 17, 2010

#7 - Actually, I'd like fuzzy handcuffs to go with that padlock...

As if there weren't enough changes in this list to the family types dialog, here's another one. I want to lock a parameter to a certain value range. No, I don't want to "lock" it to a specific value. I never understood why that was a cool addition to the massing editor since you could always lock a parameter by entering a fixed value in the formula field (ok, there are some parameters you can't enter a formula for, so this was to make it so you could lock all parameters. I know, consistency is good right? Yes, so let me type a formula for all parameters instead of giving me a freakin' toggle lock as an added "feature"). However, since we've gone to all the trouble to create a lock toggle, let's change that to be a constraint toggle. If picked, I can then "constrain" the parameter in addition to the formula field. Using this feature, I could tell a number parameter controlling an array never to go below 2! Or, I could make a family type parameter only display shared parameters that begin with the word "Panel" so my bloody panel: type parameter will stop showing me frame types as if I could even pick one without trashing the family. Yes, I know, for some of these you can create a second duplicate parameter, have it control the geometry, write a conditional statement for it making it equal the first parameter as long as that first parameter meets the range conditions desired, and then call it a day. Of course, when they change that to 1 the family doesn't break it just doesn't do what they expect. Oh, and you've got twice the parameters you really need. Oh, and editing it is confusing as well. You get the point. #7 is constraint ranges for parameter values. Giving us this (along with conditional formatting if these ranges are violated) let's us better control user input and communicate what's wrong with their input! Of course, with rules come rule breakers and (gasp) error messages - see #10...

No comments:

Post a Comment