Friday, September 17, 2010

#10 - Internal Error, does not compute.

I can't believe I'm asking for this, but it's only fair. As much as I gripe about the bogus errors in Revit it is only fitting that I should be able to create some bogus errors of my own. Of course, I still have some griping to do. Nothing is as frustrating as breaking a family in Revit. The errors are pretty much summed up by "Failed to apply family parameters". Why? What parameter? Who am I? The errors within the family editor need to get much better at helping the family creator figure out what when wrong and fixing it. "Did not work" just isn't cutting it. The flip side, of course, is the end user's interaction with the family on the project side. Just like Autodesk needs to make its errors more useful in the editor environment, we content creators need to be able to provide some feedback to our users about why their values didn't work. How else are we going to bring Johnny 5 back alive??? So, to tie in with creating ranges for a parameter that are acceptable, we need to be able to create an error that tells them why they can't apply those values they just input into the family. Of course, this can apply to parameters that don't have value ranges locked in too. There are all sorts of reasons why a family breaks, and I'd like to have some input as a content creator over what error the end user sees when it happens. This one is way out there, I know. I have no clue how you could implement it for that matter, and that's why #10 on the list is letting the content creators write error messages for their families failures. It isn't that it is the least important...

No comments:

Post a Comment